Careers Training Centre strives to achieve environmental and social sustainability. As a company within the CaPTA Group, Careers Training Centre operate in and adjacent to World Heritage-listed areas of Far North Queensland, including the Daintree National Park, Wooroonooran National Park and Tully Gorge National Park.
The group is committed to protecting and preserving the areas in which it operates to ensure its viability and the viability of the communities that benefit directly from tourism generated by these areas, and with respect to heritage values and the culture of Traditional Owner groups.
CaPTA and Careers Training Centre are also committed to sustainability and have introduced many initiatives to minimise its impact on the environment. These initiatives include natural resource management activities, waste reduction programs and education.
Sustainable and responsible treatment of our natural resources is fundamental
- We turn off lights and devices when not needed and use energy-saving devices
- Our employees avoid printing
- We are saving and reusing old boxes
- All ink and toner cartridges get recycled
- Our employees read online and send emails rather than printing documents
- We provide access to our students to this material electronically
- We keep copies of important emails, files, and other documents on a computer rather than in hard copies and paper files
- No additional ordering of catalogues or magazines
- Usage of sharing system to pass around interesting materials between everyone’s in-trays
Our course programs
- We are looking into the realisation of an online training program
- Our staff is encouraged to car-pool when travelling from site to site for training purposes
- We hold zoom classes and tutorials with no need for travel
Support of our local community in the Cairns region
- We regularly donate to the Cairns Organisation United for Cancer Health (https://couch.org.au)
We provide decent employment opportunities and quality education
- We offer stable employment and (re-)training opportunities for the local community
- Indigenous employment is actively encouraged and desired
- Our training centre provides multiple accredited training courses in the hospitality and tourism sector
- CaPTA developed and implemented an Indigenous Employment Strategy in 2008 to increase employment for local Indigenous people